Thursday, March 6, 2014

A week in the mountains

Ok, yes, I do live in Park City, which means I'm always in the mountains, but this week I was in different mountains!  Yay for me!  +10 lifestyle points (points received for making the most out of a moment) awarded to me!

The other mountains mentioned above are called the Grand Tetons.  I'm just outside of Jackson Hole at the Teton Science School campus.  The week has been filled with lot's of fun, friends, sun, snow, sleep and even a bit of homework (Notice that caffeine wasn't mentioned in this list, I've been slightly deprived.  It was totally worth it though!)

The beautiful view of the Tetons.
Image Creds: tetontastic


I want to focus on one specific part of this week though–the people.  When I first applied and got accepted to the trip, I was so worried that I wouldn't know anyone on the trip and that I was going to be the awkward one in the corner, which seems to be a common event when I go on school trips.  I had less anxiety though when I found out that a few of my friends were going too!  My plan was to stick with them for the entire week.

That plan didn't work out too well.  I ended up meeting a lot of really cool people that I didn't know before.  I was forced to step outside of my social bubble (although I'm not socially exclusive, I promise!) and talk with people who I didn't see on a daily basis, and it ended up being better than I thought.  I now have a few more people to call friends, and that idea makes this week a whole lot better.

For readers to take away:  It's okay to feel safe with certain people–everyone does.  It's also okay to step outside your comfort zone once in a while, and the chances are it'll turn out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment