Thursday, January 30, 2014

Common Chinese Phrases

For my middle school years, I lived in Hong Kong.  While I was there, I started learning Chinese, as did almost every other student there.  Because all of my friends understood it, we would say short phrases in Chinese every so often.

When I moved back to the US, the habit stuck... and I occasionally forget that I'm no longer surrounded by people who know Mandarin.  So, I decided I would tell you, my fellow friends, what I'm saying in Chinese so you don't think I'm insulting you, because I promise, I'm not! (I'm not THAT mean... Just kidding... I'm really not a mean person, at least according to Devon)

Both "English" and "Chinese"... English is on the right and is written with traditional characters (the hard ones)  and Chinese is on the left and is written with simplified characters (the slightly easier ones that I learned back in +852) (+852 is the area code for Hong Kong).  Image credits to wikipedia.

1. Hello

你好
Nǐ hǎo (Pronounced knee.how)


2. Thank You

谢谢
Xièxiè (Pronounced shay.shay)

3. What

什么
Shénme (Pronounced shun.ma)

4. Why

为什么
Wèishénme (Pronounced way.shun.ma)

5. Very Good

很好
hěnhǎo (Pronounced hen.how)

Thank you to Google for helping me out with the characters (:

If you spend any amount of time with me, these phrases would most likely be good to know (:  but you don't have too...

Have a supreme day (:





No comments:

Post a Comment