Friday, October 11, 2013

Volleyball vs. Homework

Even though I'm not great at it, volleyball is my favorite sport and I love playing.  I try really hard and do my best.  I go to all of the practices and games (I haven't missed one yet!), and while it is rewarding, it takes up a lot of time.

This week, I had practice Monday and Wednesday, and games Tuesday and Thursday.  Because the practices end at 5:30, it is easy to manage homework.  The stress arises on game days-especially when they are away games.  The games are a ton of fun and great to watch, so I don't want to miss it (check out our 2013 schedule to look for upcoming games).

On Tuesday, our game was in Union, which is about a two and a half hour drive on a school bus from my school.  Although I was able to study for my biology test the next day on the way there, I was not so successful on completing my other homework.

I am aware that this is how high school sports are, and that I signed up for this commitment.  I honestly wouldn't change it for anything.  Next week, when our season comes to a close, it's going to be a very heart breaking experience.  I wish the season would continue on throughout the entire school year, even if it is a lot of work.

Image Credits: Zazzle.com

Although it sometimes feels like it should be "Homework forever, volleyball whenever", it doesn't work out like that.  Not only did I make a commitment that I can't break, but I also want to win, and help my team do that.  

When I have games, it sometimes feels like I'm suffocating in work, that there is too much to do and too little time to do it.  In order to help with this, I make sure I finish homework due Wednesday on Monday if I have a game Tuesday.  Or, if I have a game Thursday, I'll do all of my homework due Friday on Wednesday.   

I know this may seem like a crazy way of balancing homework, but it actually works.  By planning it out ahead of time (which homework I need to do for a certain class on a certain day), I am able to plan the rest of my time around it - how long to spend with family, how long I can chat with old friends from Hong Kong, and how long I need to plan for reading and other assignments that aren't necessarily due in the next few days.

However, this isn't to say that this plan is fool proof.  I end up having a lot of homework on Wednesdays, and I don't get much sleep during the week, it's the best plan I have. 

By using this method, I am able to almost achieve a balance.  Although it does sound too obvious and there are a few cons, it has a lot of great pros and it works for me.   



No comments:

Post a Comment